My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Friday, March 10, 2017

THE OLD PHILOSOPHER RETURNS

All politics is local, as Speaker of the House Tip O’Neill famously and ungrammatically observed.  Which is my way of saying that I have been absent from this blog because of a very local matter – preparing our apartment to be shown to prospective buyers.  The market is very weak just now, so our real estate agents [a mother and daughter combo] have made it clear that the apartment must be made to look pristine, which is to say uninhabited.  Susie and I have spent a frantic five days throwing things out, taking vast quantities of clothing to Good Will, and generally clearing from surfaces every tschotshcke, every memento, every half-empty box of tumeric or cilantro, in short everything that makes a house a home.  We shall not be here when the apartment is “shown,” as they say, which is just as well because I would be hard pressed to restrain the urge to shout “If you don’t like it the way it is, you can just get the hell out of here,” which is not, as I have learned from reading that great work, The Art of the Deal, the best way to close a sale.

This experience has given me some insight into the behavior of our prehistoric ancestors, who, Archeologists tells us, buried their dead with weapons and cooking implements.  This has rather sentimentally been interpreted as an expression of love for the dearly departed, sending them to the next world with a starter kit for their new homes.  But I now have a rather more realistic interpretation of the evidence.  I think what happened was this:  The living dug a hole for the dead, and then thought to themselves, “Why waste a good hole?  Let’s get rid of some of the stuff that has been lying around in the back of the cave cluttering up prime sleeping space.”


Are Susie and I done?  As if!, as the young, I am told, are wont to say.  But we can anticipate a moment, several weeks from now, when the apartment will be ready to show.  At that point, we shall start living like Tinker Bell, without making a mark or leaving a stain on anything we touch.  I hope the buyers, God willing there are some, appreciate our efforts.  But probably not; they will just have gone through the same exercise themselves.  There has got to be a better way to handle this business of changing homes, but I cannot for the life of me see it.

5 comments:

Chris said...

You could do what both my parents did. Move your entire home furnishings into a storage unit, then never unload the unit, but complain every week or so about how one day you need to unload the unit because you're tired of paying rent every month.

Tom Cathcart said...

Actually, I think you may have misread "The Art of the Deal." Judging by its putative author's behavior, I think yelling, "If you don't like it, get the hell out of here," may actually be his recommended strategy. Don't envy you, having just done it ourselves two years ago. There's a reason that moving is #1 on Somebody-or-Other's list of stressors.

Friday report: Went to super-organized meeting of agencies and congregations interested in providing sanctuary. Got on a bunch of call lists for various support services. Sent some money to Alejandra Campoverdi, running for open Congressional seat in CA. Called and wrote to website of our Republican Congressman, Faso, about the travesty of the ACA repeal.

s. wallerstein said...

I had an opposite experience when selling my apartment. My real estate agent had insisted that I repaint the apartment and clean everything, but being lazy, I did not heed her advice. I found that prospective buyers had studied the real estate market with the same attention that I dedicate to a text of Nietzsche, followed housing prices daily and were not likely to overly influenced by whether I hadn't washed the windows lately or ever. Cleaning my apartment would have made about as much difference in the price as cleaning a certificate of stock ownership before selling shares.

I'm glad to see you back blogging in any case.

howie b said...

This week I donated some money to the Muslim community in Tampa, and tried to help the democratic party by filling out a survey on party strategy and emailed Senator Gillibrand on why she should obstruct Trump's nominee for ambassador to Israel

Carl said...

O'Neill's observation was not ungrammatical. Like "ethics" or "optics," "politics" is validly construed as a singular noun.